Sunday, August 14, 2011

When it's Pouring Down Rain

I hated when it rained on the comic book release date, especially when I was younger. The comic shop of choice at that time was ComicCards. This store is no longer around. It is also the store I base all other stores off of. At the time I walked there, cutting through side streets and a portion of woods called Pennypack Park. These days I would ask my retailer to double bag the comic books just in case. I wish I was smart enough to purchase bags and boards. Maybe if they would have sold them individually like my LCS does today I would have had my comics in better condition.

I would walk home with the double bagged comic books under my shirt. During my walk I would silently curse the rain. This wasn’t because it was raining because I love this aspect of nature. No, this was because I couldn’t read them on the way home. There was a spot I would stop at every week and read at least one or two because I couldn’t wait to get home. I can still read them when I pick up my books from my current LCS because I take public transit to and fro the shop, with a minimum amount of walking.

Since I started going to Fat Jack’s Comiccrypt in Center City Philadelphia I have been fortunate because it hasn’t rained that much on release date Wednesday. Today is the weekend, or a portion of it. The type of day that I was stuck inside and all I wanted to do was go to the comic shop. Days like this I would reread many of my comic books as I would listen to the pitter patter of rain knocking on my window. I am glad that it doesn’t rain as much when I do pick the books up in the first place because I do go through the scenario of what if? What if they get wet? What if I crease them? What if it is so bad I actually have to wait an extra day?

Thanks for Reading

No comments:

Post a Comment