Monday, August 1, 2011

Reaching for First

Sometimes the only thing that gets me through work is thinking or talking about comic books. It just relieves stress when I can talk about the exploits about a hero (or villain) I like between waiting on tables. It also is relaxing when I can talk about my collection. Recently I had a huge find which bring me closer to my completion of a collection of New Mutant comics in a 9.8 white pages or better. This will put me in first place, taking over from the current position holder, a person who has held this title for three years. Even though I am about to be handed the mantle, I still envy his collection.

This makes me wonder about the people that collect comic books because a lot of us were out casts and feared getting ostracized by our peers because of them. All through high school I was always me, I showed people who I was, if not all of me, it was still the true part of me. I did collect comic books; I just didn’t advertise that fact. I also ran cross country and this was only because I couldn’t get the Captain of that team to sit for an interview. He offered to do it on the run. I knew I could run so I said sure, I just didn’t know he could run. He smoked me….and when I finally made it back to school he offered me a spot on the team. I still wrote, just for me and not the school newspaper. I made varsity the next four years, my label for this was a jock.

I still like to run, although at the moment I don’t run, I just feel to out of shape. I like to collect comic books and I still do, I don’t need to be in shape for that. I don’t fear being ostracized by anyone anymore if they don’t like me for me, I don’t care but was I afraid that the number one ranking in my favorite set would be upset that I was taking over his spot. Yes I did work hard for this, searching different avenues to get the best collection; the thing is, it is the best collection and I earned it. I am proud of that and the person who I am relieving that coveted position has wished me no malice and congratulated me, I thank him for that.

I was afraid I would lose a friendship, a camaraderie that sometimes is so desperately needed that I almost feel sorry for the people I work with because once I begin to speak about my collection, this love of mine I can almost feel their eyes roll back into their head and their thoughts of “not again” about to spring from their lips, which is pretty much the same thing that happens to me when they talk about shoes.

Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment