Thursday, August 18, 2011

Conversations Towards Comic Books

I have collected comic books for so long that it is part of me. I live each day with thoughts about it, whether those thoughts are about the companies that produce it or the titles that I collect. Writing about comic book also is a beautiful reason to always be talking about it. The other day a customer case in, he had a book under his arm and I asked what it was. It was a book written by Mercedes Lackey. Eventually, and quite quickly this conversation turned towards comic books.

I know what does Mercedes Lackey and comic books have anything at all to do with one another. For one, the only book I ever read of hers was collaboration between her and Piers Anthony. Still it seems a pretty far stretch for the Xanth novels author to comic book conversation to occur. Not so. In the nineties there was a comic book company called Innovation which closed its doors entirely too early in my opinion. They were producing a comic book called On a Pale Horse. This prestigious format was fully painted and the paper was not your typical comic book paper that everyone else was using. This was a premium. On a Pale Horse was also written by Piers Anthony.

Another conversation I had the next day was about pool. Once again I turned this conversation into comic books as well. The person I was chatting with was a previous co worker. We never chatted with each other when we worked. It was afterwards when she and I crossed paths between pool teams. We started talking about cue sticks which can cost a bit of money. The one stick I currently want will cost me about $500. When I told her that all I had to do was stop buying comic books for a month and I can get the stick her eyes lit up ever so slightly. Then I revealed the cost of my collection and what I could get for it if I sold it. Once again her eyes lit up.

I wasn’t bragging as much as I was destroying a fallacy. Most people do tend to think of our hobby as some nerdistic (yes, I made that word up) escape and not as a possible investment. I never plan on selling my comic books. I did have to sell off a very large portion of my collection but that money was then reinvested into my current collection. I do have insurance on my collection. One that will continue to go up over the years, but the one thing I might be able to do with an extensive list and proof of insurance is get a loan towards a house. I don’t know if this is true or not but I will look into it one day. How many of my co-workers would stop laughing at my collection if I were able to by a house and only because I collect comic books.

Thanks for Reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment