Saturday, August 6, 2011

How Much for That Comic Book in the Window?

Is there a time that you get too when you realize it either doesn’t matter or what’s the point? When I feel this way I tend to think of two things, one is the tail of the fox who wanted some grapes that was ever so out of his reach and he replied that they were probably sour anyway and gave up. The other thing is not so much something I think of but what I liked to do and that was just read some comic books. These 22 page stores just let everything slip away. As a teenager these sixty cent pieces of joy were well worth it.

My hobby has changed throughout the years and I have changed with it. I can say this because if I didn’t I would most likely just be sitting on the sidelines bitching and complaining about it rather than participating, although my participation at the moment is along the lines of over eager enthusiast. I collect, and I spend a great portion of my extracurricular funds on comic books. My bills come first, the actual pieces of my life that heckle my bank account calling it my responsibility, thanks Spider-Man. After a small savings put away, I add the rest to my collecting budget.

Prices I feel are clamoring close to the ridicules and as a fan there is not much I can do about it other than stop collecting. It was said that the industry is hurting, that not many people collect in this day and age. I disagree and will one day finish my argument for that statement, but in the 1950’s comic books were a way of life. Not only did kids buy and read them, they traded them, something I highly doubt is being done. No parent is going to buy something for heir kid and have them trade it away.

As a kid I tried trading baseball cards, but never did I trade a comic book. Yes, I have traded them into a shop for something I wanted, but never amongst my peers. But would have I done something like this if they were cheaper. FCBD is a great idea to get new readers, maybe one that should be done more often. It worked for me with Locke and Key. I don’t like the digital comic books like I enjoy the feel of the book in my hands but I might go that route.

The other item to show how displeased I am is as I mention to just stop collecting new comic books. Maybe I should spend my $25 weekly allotment on a Tales to Astonish book, or maybe Tales of Suspense. I fear that companies that keep starting over with a number one forget or never knew about the days before the comic book shop rose, when books were bought on a turnstile and kids had no problem parting with their money on a new Book rather than on popcorn, a soda pop, and a movie.

Times are hard, gas has increased, food has increased, more jobs are going abroad and people are still collecting. In March of 2011 the top twenty books brought in slightly over four million dollars. ONLY the top twenty books, the others were not even added into that mix. These books ranged from $3 to $6 a piece. The top twenty CGC graded titles brought in just shy of that amount and the quantity of those books are nowhere near the amount of books sold as New Releases.

This hobby has gone through many changes and will go through many more changes and after over seventy years of history I don’t think starting over at number one’s is the correct way to go, especially when comic companies used to fear starting over at a #1.

Thanks for Reading

1 comment:

  1. I feel that either company use these cheap gimmicks to increase their coffers ONLY! The companies know that when comic fans see #1 on the cover it must be bought because it could be the next $1.5 million issue. Hey Marvel & DC, here is a novel idea, instead of trashing everything when it become hard or ugly try getting some new talent to help spark new interest in some titles. For example, when Frank Miller took over Daredevil, the sales shot through the roof. Same point for Swamp Thing when Alan Moore began writing for the series. I find it hard to believe that the talent (either writing or art) ceased and only with new #1 will the comic book industry find more readers.

    ReplyDelete