Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Comfortable Around Comic Books

I was always able to find comfort in between the pages of a comic book. Some of the ones I read when I was younger were Richie Rich. I read the short stories in between over and over. Each issue had about three stories and a few one page mini’s. I his away from the world many times, sitting in my closet on top of toys and bags of clothing that were to be donated. The clothing was getting donated; the toys were mine to keep.

Nothing went wrong during this time of escape, nothing could. I was transported away from my problems and was kept amused by Dollar, Reginald, Cadbury (was that his name) and of Course Richie Rich, the poorest lil’ rich boy. These days I cannot remember the last time I picked up a Richie Rich. My escape is the Marvel universe with a few odd ball comics also taken form in my collection. There wasn't a day I couldn’t live without A Dark Horse Star Wars book.

Marvel has been keeping my business because they are telling stories I want to hear. Some might stray from what I am looking for. I do love the Ultimate Universe and the fact that anything can and does happen. The case I point was the recent Death of Spider-Man. This death is causing a new Number one and for some reason I can still accept that rather than what DC is doing. I wonder what would have happened if DC would have decided to have a universe like Marvel. Maybe even have Dream from the Sandman, correction Daniel create a brand new universe.

I am regressing. I type this as I have comic books next to me from a recent move, so many in fact that the light is cut off from shining in this corner. It is a temporary switch, one that will change again…although many months from now. I am comforted though that at any time I can just pull a book out and look at it and reread it….CGC withstanding. What do you do when you need to be comforted? Do you read them over, maybe catalog them, or place them on your bed and roll them over you like a blanket?

Thanks for Reading.

1 comment: