Tuesday, August 2, 2011

An escape or an Addiction?

Another day has passed, my bills are paid, my books are to be delivered this week and I wonder what I should purchase next. I know I should save a bit more; I really should especially since I am closing in on my goal and I would hate to have purchased something and then have something I really want be up for bid or purchase. Damn run on sentence. Every now and then in life I wonder why I collect comic books. Other times I do not try to figure out why, I just do.

What would happen if I quit collecting, what would happen then? What else would I spend my money on and how will I ever find out how Miles Morales becomes the new Spider-Man? I don’t want to say my life revolves around comic books, it doesn’t but I am not going to say I can quit anytime I want to. I stopped collecting comic books once before. This was because of my financial instability. I simply couldn’t afford it.

At first I just stopped collecting books that only had a margin of interest, then others, then all. When I got back into the collecting comic book scene it was my saving grace. My life fell apart and I struggled with my own self worth. Being transported into this other fictional world wasn’t an escape from my world, I still had to deal with it, it was a visit into other lives and how they dealt with it, or at the very least how real writers had the characters deal with it. Maybe I was Marrow and instead of being horribly disfigured on the outside, it was the inside that was scarred. If she could deal with it, how could I not?

Comic books aren’t real. The characters as well written as they could be are two dimensional at best. The movies that are created to portray them are just that, movies. Even the comic books I am hoping to get are books I already have purchased before, this time I am just trying to purchase the best possible one. I am not saying that I will never allow myself to be in such a financial dire strait again. I am just saying that sometimes when you feel down a good escape could be found in a good book, or a comic book.

Thanks for Reading

1 comment: