Friday, August 12, 2011

The Digital Age of Comics?

I think I am sated. I might be good on collecting CGC graded comic books for the next month. I entered my New Mutants comic books onto the registry for my set. I have four more to still enter for another set and I even have four more that will be added to my signature series. All in all I am moving along at a nice pace. This brings me back to getting raw copies, books I can read. I still need Daredevil issues #2, #3, and #9 to complete that set. I could have finished long ago but isn't there something to the condition you might want. I hate buying a book at an over inflated price.

I could also save for another convention, or maybe something special like an iPad. This way I can start my digital collection. Don’t get me wrong I am a huge fan of having a book in my hands but I am also afraid of damaging my books as well. At a younger age I didn’t care. I would eat pizza and Lucky Charms as I read the tales of my heroes and villains. Every Wednesday I am there to pick up my comic books, with few exceptions. But Digital…should I fight against this?

Tales to Astonish is a series I would like to get. Issues #70 to #101. I have one and it is graded by CGC. I looked for the Marvel Masterworks o this series but have not found the first of the series I want. I would love to be able to buy all the issues for the same price as what I would have spent on a single book. Then I can slowly complete the collection in the best CGC grade I can afford. I don’t want digital to overtake the industry, just compliment it.

What are your thoughts? Do you scream against a digital comic book or rave to have Marvel Follow DC on day and date? I was once highly against CGC encapsulating a book away from a reader and now I enjoy collecting comic books all the more.

Thanks for reading

1 comment:

  1. "I hate buying a book at an over inflated price."
    In 1969?, I think it was. I bought an incredible Hulk #1 for $13.00. An incredible price, for a 14yr old boy who's only source of income was his paper route. And, "a Foolish purchase", as far as my parents were concerned. However! "Today", 41 years later. I have the last laugh!

    Digital comics, are only valuable to those who have a means to read them. And believe it or not, that market, is relatively small. Especially when compared to the paper/book - collector - market. (...which has shrunk, as you can no longer buy comics at your local convenient store. ...the Real tragedy.)

    DCs are good for references (again, for those who have a means to read them). But as collectibles that will be valuable 50 years from now? Forget it! ...I mean, remember when VHS was the future media? Well guess what? You can't even buy a VCR anymore. And for that very reason, DCs might well be considered, an endangered species!

    ReplyDelete