Friday, August 26, 2011

Supporting your Hobby

I never meant to write every day, but it is cheaper to do so than to go out and buy a comic book. I have enough to read, or rather to read over but where do I start? Do I start with my oldest issue? Do I start from where I collected? It seems off that I am having more fun collecting the comic books from my teenage years then I am collecting current issues. I fear that with trades coming out so quickly and on almost every title that I am beginning to think maybe I should just collect those.

I enjoy collecting CGC graded comic books and am currently even upgrading my latest set to a signature series. It was reported new comic book sales declined last month a whopping 8 percent. Eight percent is a lot and I wonder if this is because of Borders closing or the rise of the graded comic book. After all I don’t see sales declining when last month someone purchased a Captain America #1 for over $300,000. I am sure that any single comic shop would love to be able to make that amount off of comic books in a month.

Recently a comic shop closed as well. What does that mean for the future of comic books? Will store fade away? Will online services take over? Will digital take advantage? As a hobbyist I do support my LCS often, once a week often, but I also support my book store. My shelves are far from barren. Unfortunately there is no happy medium. One will succeed, one will falter, I just hope however many years I have left (and I hope they are a lot) that I am not around to see it.

Tanks for Reading

No comments:

Post a Comment