Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Passing on Books


I was recently at a small convention called Philadelphia Comic–Con. There were two CGC graded comic books I was interested in. The first one I saw was a copy of Eternals #1 Sketch Variant in a Gem Mint. They wanted a $100. The second book (at another booth) was a copy of ASM #119 that was graded a 9.2 which made me lose hope that my ungraded copy of ASM #127 would ever attain such a grade. In fact, my book looked awful in comparison.

I brought my ASM #127 to drop off to Keegan from Comic to Astonish, who I originally met at a previous Philadelphia Comic-Con. I met him some two years ago and have purchased comic books from him ever since. I also purchase from an acquaintance of his (I met them separately, old cliché…small world) and asked if they could bring them to the show. I have had multiple problems with the USPS and this seems to be a satisfactory way for me to get my books. This month, the five I was due to get, never made it due to an unforeseen issue.  

I went to the show anyway so I could drop off a check and a comic book to Comics to Astonish. The check was for two previous signature and grading fees. CGC still has these. This time I wanted John Romita’s signature. The first book I had in mind was my CGC 9.4 SS copy of ASM #129. The problem is once the book was un-slabbed for the process there would be no guarantee that it was Stan Lee who originally signed it, the #127 I have was my next best choice, condition wise anyway. The #86 would have been lucky to get an 8.

That ASM #119 had a $160 price tag to it and I was thinking I would buy that and send that along in addition to the raw #127 I just handed over. I wanted too, I really did but with the NYCC arriving next month I needed to hold off. I already purchased a ticked for Sunday and currently have ten books I want to bring with me to get them signed for the signature series. However, planning ahead I knew the one day would not be enough so I called and e-mailed CGC hoping I can send the books to them in Sarasota, FL. They said yes.

Seven of the books are already graded, six of those have a 9.8 grading. Three are raw. My Marvel Graphic Novel #4 is only a 9.4 but how great would it be to have both Bob Mcleod and Chris Claremont sign those.  Eight of them will be re-administered into my collection while two others I am hoping to be able to sell. The only reason I am even thinking about selling the others is because it would help me reclaim what I am selling. I don’t want to make a living (yet) out of buying comic books just pay off what I am spending.

I was thinking about sending my 9.8 copy of New Mutants #15 but the longer I started at it the more I wondered if it was a true 9.8 or a beautiful 9.6 so I decided to send in my original 4.5 copy instead, a book I hope to have signed by everyone involved. I still have books at CGC, which many of you reading this still do. One set if from the San Diego Comic Con and the other set from The Baltimore convention. Most Likely I will have this next set handed over to CGC before I even get the first set back and I realize if I keep collecting this way I might start to have more yellow Labels than blue ones but only if I keep passing on Books


Thanks for Reading

Tnerb

No comments:

Post a Comment