Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Wizard World 2013: A Roundabout Preview


In 1993 I went to my first major comic book event. It would be over another decade and a half before I went to another one. I attended this with my father and my son. The year was 2007. The following year in 2008 we did the same thing. It was in 2009 that I started to go by myself that this iconic event morphed into something different. Directly on the website WizardWorld.com a countdown timer has been worked onto the front page. I have been staring at it for the past two weeks watching has the chosen event has become a Mecca of a sort, a calling I cannot seem to deny. Last year with press credentials in hand, I did the impossible, I bought a ticket, How could I not, as a fan first, purchase tickets to meet Stan Lee?

I was part of a larger conglomerate then. There were a slew of us attending and we all had our own assignments. Mine was to find out about CGC. This was more my speed then all the others who were giddy about either this or that. The thing is Wizard World changed from a Comic Book convention into a pop cultural phenomenon. Joining the countdown timer on the homepage was a floating picture display changing from one major guest to another. Stan Lee being the most iconic comic book deity, was followed by Neal Adams (he will be at Chicago and not Philadelphia), another major legend, one of which Batman never would have been the same about, but even today, two weeks before the event they have not stopped adding, with tickets still available, the Ramones are making an appearance. Do I even have to mention various stars of the Walking Dead?

After clicking on the Philadelphia highlighted event, a slew of actors, artists, enthusiasts, and special guests could be seen listed. The top and foremost area are the Special Guests, currently there are 54 with pictures and a link for their bio. Next up are the Featured guest, these are mostly stars from shows like Firefly, past iconic movies, and Wrestling. The last category, the one I pay most attention to are the Comic Creators themselves, with over two hundred listed. But that wasn't enough, a fourth category for the fans themselves, there are at least 35 people presenting under the Cosplay & Fan communities section.

The countdown won’t stop. It will keep going until the event has begun and once it has I can only imagine that it will start again for the New York City Experience.

Thanks for Reading


No comments:

Post a Comment