Friday, May 3, 2013

Iron Man 3: A Roundabout Review


Read Away, and know that I will not spoil the movie for you.

The Long of it:

As I begin typing, the midnight showing has begun of Iron Man 3. I have already seen it. The movie theatre of choice had a nine o’clock showing. I and my companion arrived early to an already filling auditorium. The center seats were already filled; it was just a matter of every other seat filling around it. I couldn't wait for this movie. I caught the first preview and refused to watch any other. I was already upset at seeing an army of iron come to the rescue.

The Mandarin was my first Iron Man villain. I started to collect with issue #181 with Jim Rhodes donning the armor with the help of Morley Erwin while Tony Stark was living as a homeless drunk. Finally in issue two hundred the prodigal son returned to battle Obadiah Stane, who donned the War Monger armor portrayed in the first Iron Man movie. I hopped that the third movie in the franchise would portray this villain in a shining light, after all Whiplash was a character I knew about before I collected comic books from Tales to Astonish #97, a book given to me before I was ten.

I watched Iron Man 2 and although I enjoyed it and will probably watch it again after I finish writing this, it wasn't as good as the first. It had after all suffered the sequel curse of not being good as the first. So what could Shane Black do with the third that wasn't done before? How could he make sure that the Mandarin was every bit as the villain he should be portrayed as? Could Sir Ben Kinglsey, a renown British actor portray a “set in stone” Marvel comic book Chinese character. They tried and failed with the late Michael Clarke Duncan in Daredevil as Wilson Fisk.

Can an actor transgress against what people have known for decades? Let’s be honest Samuel L. Jackson made a much better Nick Fury then David Hasselhoff ever did. In fact Marvel Comics changed their whole universe and created a way for Nick Fury to be identical to the character in the movies. I did my best not to read anything, or watch anything to give away what surely could possibly be a flop.  My Junior Mints in hand with a beverage in the cup holder  I sat in the theatre with a few who dared to dress as Tony Stark complete with glowing chest and then the lights dimmed, the previews played, and Action…

The Short of it:

If I knew I would enjoy the movie it that much I would have pre-purchased tickets for the midnight showing too.

Thanks for Reading

oh and about that secret ending...SHHHHH

No comments:

Post a Comment