Monday, May 20, 2013

Off to see (the) Wizard... World


In younger years this was said on days before we found out the Wizard of Oz would be playing this upcoming Saturday night. This news would be a small blurb in the free TV Week that was given with every Sunday Inquirer. I no longer pay attention to any TV Guide and off to see the Wizard means something slightly different. Wizard World has changed and morphed from a singular comic con to a pop cultural event. No longer is the Philadelphia Convention Center filled with only comic book collectors, but it is now filled with Wrestling fans, Trekkies, Star Wars aficionados, Whovians, Zombie lovers, Cosplayers, Speculators, Spectators, and Autograph hounds.


Wizard World has redefined the convention experience. Only a few years ago after a Texas based Wizard World was cancelled and postponed a Los Angeles show rumors were flying in Philly on the show floor that this year might have been the last year. That rumor was squashed at day’s end when they released the dates of the next year’s show. I started to attend in 2007 and in the past years the convention that was is different than the convention that is. Wizard world has created an event for everyone. They created V.I.P. tickets for the greatest names, or the most beloved. Photo companies swooped in to take pictures of you and your favorite Icon and Meet and Greets were created for a small amount of time with your favorites in separate rooms away from the throngs of fans.

The Wizard World clock is counting and I check out Wizard World everyday to see who is attending, I even cross reference other shows and wish that Alan Davis was also included on the Philadelphia itinerary as he is in Chicago. There are so many movie and TV stars, comic book contributors, and wrestling legends that I have peruse the list multiple times to make sure I didn’t miss anyone. The panel list is currently about fifteen pages long and even after cutting out anything I don’t want to see or partake in, I am still at five pages. Wizard World has even acquired Con Bro Chill to play at the Trocadero, free for V.I.P. pass holders, on Thursday night at 8PM, the first day at the show.

There are two jobs I have, the job I work and the job I love. Writing is what I love and I hope over the next few weeks you will pay attention to me either here on A Shot of Comics, or throughCircuit 42, and check out the pictures that will be posted through Instagram and twitter with the #WizardWorld or #WizardWorldPhilly. Tickets are still available and if one day is all you can spend, I recommend Saturday for anyone looking to see people dress up and Sunday for anyone looking for deals on Comic Books, and as much as I believe every line will seem equally as long…if I were a betting man, I would put my money on Stan Lee as the winner.

Thanks for Reading

No comments:

Post a Comment