Monday, April 29, 2013

Free Comic Book Day: A Roundabout Review

Where will you go May 4th 2014? Comic book stores across the country will be giving out free comic books. No gimmicks at all with the word free. Some comic book shops have sales to accommodate the throngs of customers coming into get their free stuff but what about all the juicy back stock, trades, and or special blow out sales. 

I work nights, but I plan on after leaning work at seven am Saturday morning to go home and change before going to my LCS Fat Jack's ComicCrypt on Sansom street in Center City Philadelphia. I've been shopping there for over three years, on a regular basis, of course this is every Wednesday. The kicker is it is one of the farthest comic book shops from where I live. So What makes the travel worth it. Other than having coffee with my dad.

Occasionally I make banter with the staff and the clientele. This makes it an ideal spot to go. I can find out about new books and tally the back issue bins for old ones. I tend to always attribute the seriousness of a comic shop by the back issues, in other words, no back issues means not a seriously good comic book shop.

I first found out about Fat Jack's over twenty-Five years ago when they were next store from their current location. My father worked around the corner and for thirty minutes I was allowed to peruse through the store. It was never enough. I still go and my father goes with. He's bored and for me there is still not enough time. 

I invite you all to go the first Saturday of May, but besides picking up the free comic books they'll have but maybe a back issue or two.

Thanks for Reading

No comments:

Post a Comment