Monday, February 18, 2013

Uncanny X-Men #1: A Roundabout Review




          I'mgoing to pretend this is not another first issue. In my eyes the “Uncanny X-Men”are on their way towards six hundred and not nine issues away from issue ten.Does anyone remember that Uncanny X-Men started with issue #142?

          BrianMichael Bendis wrote some amazing twists and turns through his run with the “Avengers”.He brought me back to a comic book I haven't collected in years. As Marvelinitiated their Marvel Now program I already decided which titles I wanted totry and of course the X-Men were to be part of my collection. The creative lineup for “All New X-Men” had me salivating while wondering how they would portraythe original X-Men as teens.

Spoilers Ahead

          “AllStar X-Men” was at #7 by the time “Uncanny X-Men” #1 reached my LCS. The teamof Cyclops, The White Queen, Magneto, and one of my favorite characters, Magikwere on the rise to start a revolution. This does not include the newest teenmembers Tempus and a character to be names later.  They pick up a third mutant in this issue who’sbubble powers are still a mystery but reminds me a bit of the effect Speedballhad when he bounced around. Unlike the first issue of the X-Men back in 1963when the now deceased (again) Professor Xavier had his young students battleMagneto, they battle Sentinels alongside the self proclaimed Master of Magnetism.A weakened Magneto uses projectiles against the metal monstrosities rather thanshredding them apart.  He blames ScottSummers for his current predicament.


          My favorite scene leaves me in a quandary; Magik with her Soul Sword rips a Sentinel in half. This same sword time and time again through many different writers could not affect anything other than the unworldly, which makes me question what BMB is trying to do. Yes, the easy answer does have to do with the Phoenix Force she had once permeated.  Then there is the White Queen herself, who never should have been an X-Man to begin with. Why is she with the team? Cyclops her former (?) lover decimated her and even though they both were tainted by the same force that gave them power, he did betray her, rather ruthlessly.

          Theteam still follows Cyclops and BMB links them together very well. I lookforward to seeing the team expand, explode out into the world and implode in onitself. Not to mention the amazing talents of Chris Bachalo. Ever since I firstsaw his art I was pulled in. The colors and intricate detail draw my eye topanel after panel. This book would be great by his art alone, it's only icingon the cake that Brian Michael Bendis is leading the way.

          I was excited about the “Avengers”because of Cannonball joining the ranks, the short return of the InfinityGauntlet in the “New Avengers”, I went back and started the “IndestructibleHulk” from the original perception of the Hulk now smashes with a purpose, AllStar X-Men making something old new again, and Superior Spider-Man swingingthrough the city with no one the wiser it’s Doc Ock. It's this book, UncannyX-Men #1 out if all the others that reminds me why I like comic books. Ichallenge them to keep it up.

Thanks for Reading


No comments:

Post a Comment