Monday, February 25, 2013

ECCC: A Roundabout (P)Review




So here I am sitting in my humble abode wondering what I can bring with me across the country to this wonderful and beautiful comic con I have heard so much about in the past. I have comic after comic that I want to have signed and graded, but signed by who you ask. You can hurry now and visit their website to see all the illustrious creators they have. First and foremost for me is Gerry Conway to add his scrawl next to Stan Lee's and John Romita's on my Amazing Spider-Man #129.  And the likes of Denny O’Neil and Neal Adams will also be making their way there along with one half the creative team of the New Mutants, Chris Claremont. Should I mention the joy of an Epic Elfquest run reprinted by Marvel, maybe an issue #1 to be signed by Richard and Wendy Pini.

I was thinking of having my Marvels book signed, but then I wanted to have the only book of X-Infernus I don’t have in a 9.8 signed and graded, but for the life of me I can’t figure out where that book is. I will continue looking up to the day of my departure but what is this, these beautiful copies of the Spider Man and Black Cat story by Kevin Smith and Terry and Rachel Dodson, do I dare, can I dare? I printed out an invoice for those for CGC, the worst that could happen is my decision not to have them signed by the artists and graded by CGC.

But why, yes WHY am I going across country to a convention so far away from home when I can just wait until Wizard World arrives here in Philadelphia? Because it is the ECCC and as the time draws near I get more and more excited. This isn't just a comic-con, this is a chance to meet friends. A dinner is to be held for the “Boardies”, a bunch of us that love the idea of encapsulating a comic by CGC and placing them in a set on the registry of possibly the best comic book, recently I have fallen in love with the idea of getting the worst possible too.

I never thought in my wildest dreams I would be sitting at a dinner table with others just like me. Comic collectors, aficionados, geeks, nerds, dweebs, and any other assorted names that were given to what makes “The Big Bang Theory” such a big hit. I will be talking about the convention for weeks to come. I must imagine that if I am this excited before the event, by the time the event is done, I fear I will only be looking forward to go gain in 2014.

Thanks for Reading

No comments:

Post a Comment