Thursday, January 10, 2013

Superior Spider-Man #1: A Roundabout Review


Superior Spider-Man #1: A Roundabout Review

Wednesday arrived and I left work to go home and change for my weekly ritual. This consists of coffee with my Dad and a trip to my Comic Book store. My Comixology.com e-mail was checked through my iPhone and my weekly pulllist had the comics I am waiting for, primarily Superior Spider-Man #1.
I picked up Star Wars #1, Shadow-Man #3 and decided to stick with a digital download only for Non-Humans #2. With only three books to read on the way home from Fat Jack’s Comic Crypt in Center City Philadelphia, it was the twice a month Superior Spider-Man #1 by Dan Slott and Ryan Stegman that I waited until I got on the twenty bus to start reading. When I got home, I read it again.
Previously in Amazing Spider-man, and if you are reading Superior #1 before ASM #700, then shame on you, Peter Parker dies. Yes, Marvel allowed the one of the main bread winners to receive a dirt nap. Otto Octavius reigns supreme in the body of Aunt May’s favorite nephew and for anyone who remembers, this has some gross overtones because Otto almost married Peter’s Aunt May. I truly hope this is a story thread they never follow up on. So how does one of the greatest villains on the planet become a 100 percent rehabilitated super hero in the body of his greatest adversary? The answer is he doesn't.

Spoilers Abound

The sinister six arrives on the scene which includes The Shocker, Speed Demon, Boomerang, Living Brain, Beetle, and Overdrive which brought to mind the cover of issue #183. I don’t understand what it is about a big wheel. For a change of pace it was actually pretty enjoyable to watch Boomerang call the shots. Of course who else but Dr. Octopus would be so insulted about a new Sinister Six, and I find it quite ironically pleasing that this is the Superior Spider-Man’s first battle. Otto/Pete seems so enraged he rips into them but seriously realizes how hard Peter had it when Speed Demon pummels him repetitively to the point Otto decides to flee. By the way, Dan pulls off all this action in the first six pages and that includes Peter paying his respects at Otto’s gravesite.

          So Otto being Otto, he runs, but Spider-man being who he is, returns as he sees an innocent cop about to get in the way of a deadly boomerang. Without even fully understanding why Otto/Pete is saving someone who "states the obvious" he also would make Wolverine proud by slicing Boomerang with claws? Later Peter is being talked to by Max Modell and on these two pages I almost feel like I should be listening to Dr. Horrible’s singalong.

               Another two pages and Peter hits the Jackpot. Mary Jane interacts with Peter in a way she never did before, she wasn't passed off for him to go run and be Spider-Man even though Otto/Pete is listening into the Sinister Six’s next conspiracy through “eighty nano-spider tracers”. Otto/Pete is much more interested in the dinner,drink, and the view.

Dan Slott keeps the comic rollingalong in a smooth flow of story worthy of being a #1 issue.

               The action speeds up again as Otto prepared for the Sinister Six, and instead of a six Issue story, he wraps them up in one measly issue, which makes me wonder, is the Otto Spider-Man really that superior. He’s vicious, calculating,and arrogant, many things Peter never was, so as he pummels Boomerang with the intent of ending his life we have none other than his subconscious staying his hand from the killing blow, or is it something more. I’m not going to spoil everything, read the book and figure out for yourself if Dan Slott is the story weaver you think he is.

Thanks for Reading

No comments:

Post a Comment