Thursday, January 24, 2013

Are Statues Worth It? A Roundabout Review

In my teens my expenses were minimal. I had no living expenses, no insurance needs, no utilities, and not many excuses to purchase anything other than my hobby needs. I purchased new comic books every week and once in a while I would purchase something more. In this case, statues.

I was envious when a friend of mine picked up a Sandman statue. I wasn't surprised that it was sold out. I purchased the second Sandman statue that came out, but before I purchased that it was a statue if Batman that caught my eye. I followed these purchases with its matching Robin statue and a statue of Death to compliment Dream. The final statue I purchased was one of the best villains of all, Darth Vader.

Higher ticket items became harder to purchase. I purchased two lightsaber replicas, Star Wars cookie jars, and the occasional older back issue. The only thing that was different were my expenses. I had rent, insurance, utilities, and a beautiful baby boy. It was another twenty years before purchasing another statue, this time from Sideshow Collectibles.


I no longer have an excuse that statues are to expensive to purchase, after all I now have a comic I spent $625 on in my collection. My expenses are still expansive but I budget better then I used to. Spending three hundred dollars each on a pair of "Magik" statues. They sit on top of my entertainment center and I love that I was able to afford them, a third one was sold out before I could budget for it.

At NYCC I found another DC character I decided should adorn my collection : Harley Quinn. I still have yet to find out where to place it but I do love having the three dimensional characters sit silently on my shelves. I have another one on order and am terribly afraid to see what will be at the comic cons this year to tantalize more money out of my wallet.


Thanks for Reading


No comments:

Post a Comment