Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Amazing Spider-Man #700: A Roundabout Review



I have been collecting Amazing Spider-Man since issue #251,titled “Endings”. I do have a few other books before that one, but it was thegloved hand coming through the water holding up Hobgoblin’s mask that enticedme.  I followed Peter Parker when he wastransported with hero and villain alike to participate in the Beyonder’sexperiment throughout the 12 issue Maxi-Series, Marvel Super Heroes Secret Wars.His own series with issue #252 was sold out before I got out of school topurchase it. I didn't even realize I missed its release. Remembering back, itall started with a very well read copy of Issue #181, the origin of Spider-Man.I have an idea how I got that issue, but that's a story for another time.

Over the years I collected the adventures of Peter Parker. Ifollowed as he asked Mary Jane to marry him. I watched as he took on newvillains and old ones alike, each time reciting what he believed in "WithGreat Power Comes Great Responsibility". At times he was beaten, but hefought back. He never gave up, he never quit, a real life lesson.

SPOILERS AHEAD

I am a huge Star Wars fan and ever since Vector Prime by R.A.Salvatore killed offa vital character to “its” universe, I was shocked. I understood the reasoning,how could you fear for the characters you love if they would always survive in the end. A line from The Never EndingStory rings truer than anything else at the moment when the old man in thebook store told Sebastian "You're books are safe". Spider-Man issue#700 was not safe.


The comic book is packed, but after reading the first portionof the book, the important portion consisting of the first fifty pages wasenough to destroy any thought of being safe again. The Ultimate Universe wasfun to be part of and when they started to kill off major characters likeSpider-Man, I’m considering if it was just a test run. I mean seriously, howwould the media and the fans actually accept the death of Peter Parker, theAmazing Spider-Man?



Dan Slott has kept fans riveted with his story telling prose.As other artists joined Peter on his journey none I felt were as strong asDitko and Romita Sr and Jr. Many characters were slain, most by villains, andmaybe none as well known as Gwen Stacey by either the hands of the Green Goblinor Spider-Man himself in an effort to save her, by the superior skill of GerryConway, nothing against the legend and creator himself, Stan “The Man” Lee. 





Marvel is trying to capture the magic that DC initiated withthe New 52. Their attempt of rebooting their universe reminds me of a band aidbeing pulled of wounded skin. The only Marvel Now book that I thought wasworthy was Indestructible Hulk, a book I was hesitant to collect. Both Avengers#1 and Cable and X-Force #1 I found lacking. Thor I have heard good thingsabout but I think it's going to be The Superior Spider-Man that is goingto be pivotal in my monthly rotation of comic books. Mark Waid, you have beenwarned, please keep Daredevil my favorite title.

R.I.P. Peter Parker, you deserve it.

Thanks for Reading

No comments:

Post a Comment