Thursday, August 7, 2014

Imperial #1: A Roundabout Review


Published by Image Comics 
Written by Steven T. Seagle
Art by Mark Dos Santos 

Is this the best comic I've read all year?

The cover drew me in. I felt like a fish on a hook. The detailed simplicity reminded me of a Norman Rockwell painting. And after skimming through it, I placed it back on the shelf, picked up the rest of my weekly haul, and after realizing it was a light week, I went back and picked the best copy my LCS had off the shelf. 

When I finally picked up Imperial to read, I was only paying a portion of my attention to it. After I was done, I was in awe. The book was nothing short of phenomenal. I reviewed another Marvel title for The Next Issue Outpost and even though I felt that was a 4 out of 5, I was disappointed I didn't review this comic, because not only would I have graded it a 5 out of 5, I now feel it would be a grave disservice to pass on this title. 

In the nineties, I collected Image because I was afraid I might miss the next best thing. Now I collect Image because of the diversity. East of West, Black Science, Alex + Ada, along with Morning Glories and Ten Grand continue to entertain me month after month. My boxes are beginning to fill with great title after great title, alternating from the usual. And after deciding to not get caught up in a new series, I failed. Imperial #1 is the best new book out there. 

Thanks for Reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment