Thursday, March 14, 2013

Marvel's Season One: A Roundabout Review


The Long of it.

This week an added book was waiting for me at Fat Jack's Comic Crypt. Among my normal weekly haul a single hardcover copy of Avengers Season One beckoned for me to take it home. This is the eighth $25 hardcover I picked up. But how was it? How was Marvels first idea before Marvel Now competed against DC's 52. And how does it stack up?

Each Season One has an original story and a backup story from the 616 universe. At first glance it looks like you're getting something extra, you're not its just filler, or the garnish you get ordering from a nice restaurant, it looks nice on the plate but has no substance. The extra stories are too new and feel like a gimmick to get me to jump on the title, this is against their policy, after all they started off with new number ones thinking I would be too confused to start in the middle with a large number and yet they give me an extra issue that doesn't make sense without the rest if the story.

All in all the season ones are an interesting new perspective. Some I enjoyed while others I lumbered through, this latest one written by the great Peter David. At the end I see how they illustrated the solidifying of the Avengers but I don't see why. The characters I have known became two dimensional again. I normally like to read a comic book in one sitting, this took three.  I wanted to be entertained, to be brought back to a time of comic book innocence and this left me feeling left out.

I will buy the next one and the one after that mostly because I like the format and I like to complete what I stated. Don’t get me wrong, for the novice reader it is a good start, but for someone who loves the 616 universe I feel somewhat like I was given an ice cream cone of an ice cream flavor I don’t like on a really hot day. It looks good, but when you get down to it, slightly unsatisfying. I hope the next one is better.

The Short of it

Buy the original in digital if you have too, at least then you will see how they evolved as they were meant to, one issue at a time.

Thanks for Reading

No comments:

Post a Comment